June 3, 2011
Sounds like a recipe Homer Simpson would invent, to be sure, but this steak will please sophisticated palates, too. Mmmm…meat.
Happy Father’s Day!
- 1/2 of a 12-ounce can (3/4 cup) beer
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 3 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 beef T-bone steaks, cut 1 inch thick (about 1 pound each), or 6 beef top loin steaks, cut 1 inch thick (about 1-3/4 pounds total)
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
Fresh herbs (optional)
1. In a large glass baking dish combine onion, beer, chili sauce, parsley, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, paprika, and the 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Place steaks in marinade. Cover and refrigerate 4 to 6 hours or overnight, turning steaks over occasionally.
2. Remove steaks from marinade; discard marinade. Sprinkle both sides of steaks with the cracked black pepper.
3. Grill steaks on an uncovered grill directly over medium-hot coals for 5 minutes. Turn and grill to desired doneness, allowing 7 to 10 minutes more for medium (160 degrees F) doneness. If desired, garnish with fresh herbs. Serves 6.
From Better Homes and Gardens Magazine.
Comments Off on Beer-Marinated Peppered Steaks
April 12, 2011
4 Cups of Strawberries (sliced)
2 bags of baby spinach
½ Cup oil
¼ cup white wine vinegar
½ cup sugar or ¼ cup splenda
¼ teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
1 teaspoon poppy seeds.
Mix together and pour to taste over spinach and strawberries!
Comments Off on Strawberry Spinach Salad
February 24, 2011
These spicy cheese balls are so easy to make and perfect for your March Madness party!
Serve with tortilla chips or your favorite buttery crackers for a knock-your-socks-off snack.
- 3/4 cup dried parsley
- 4 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 (1.25 ounce) package hot taco seasoning mix (such as McCormick®)
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeno peppers, chopped
- Sprinkle parsley in a shallow baking dish. Set aside.
Mix Mexican cheese blend, cream cheese, mayonnaise, taco seasoning, and jalapeno peppers in a large bowl until well blended. Divide the mixture into 3 portions, and roll each portion into a ball. Roll each ball in the parsley until completely covered. Wrap individually with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
We found this recipe on AllRecipes.com.
Comments Off on March Madness Spicy Taco Cheese Ball
January 27, 2011
Whoopie pies—chocolate cake-like cookies with a cream filling— Add red and pink sprinkles for a fun treat for your Valentine.
Traditional Whoopie Pie recipe (From Taste of Home).
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup HERSHEY®’S Cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 cups marshmallow creme
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with water and buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Drop by teaspoons 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 5-7 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat filling ingredients until fluffy. Spread on the bottoms of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Comments Off on Valentine Whoopie Pies
January 12, 2011
If one of your your New Year’s resolutions is to eat healthy and ease stress, this recipe will do both. Think of it as a healthy bowl of oatmeal in a mess free cookie.
These also freeze well.
3 mashed bananas (ripe), 1/3 cup apple sauce, 2 cups uncooked quick-cooking oats, 1/4 cup skim milk, 1/2 cup raisins (or any other dried fruit you want to add), 1 tsp vanilla, 1 tsp cinnamon and 1 tbsp Splenda, sugar or other sweetener.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients in a bowl really well. Let this mixture stand for at least 5 minutes to let the oats become good and hydrated.
Heap the dough by teaspoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes and let cool.
Variations: If you add some chopped nuts, you have a grab and go breakfast that includes protein as well as fruits and grains.
Dried cranberries are also a great addition if you don’t care for raisins. Cardamom fans may want to substitute that spice for the cinnamon.
Comments Off on Breakfast Cookies
September 27, 2010
Yee Fong, Dental Hygienist at Aesthetic Dentistry by Design Share This Healthy Dinner Recipe
Chicken Zucchini Alfredo
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves of minced garlic
2 zucchini thinly sliced
4 4ounce thin skinless/boneless chicken breasts
fresh ground pepper
12 ounces of whole wheat fettuccine
1 tbsp all purpose flour
1 cup of cold low fat milk
1/2 cup evaporated non fat milk
3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup of fresh chopped parsley
Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, add 1 clove of garlic for 30 sec, add zucchini, cover and cook until tender.
Transfer to a bowl.
Heat another tbsp of olive oil in the skillet over medium heat.
Season chicken with 1/4 tsp each salt & pepper and cook through 2-3min per side.
Transfer to plate.
Next, cook pasta in boiling water as directed in package and drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water. Return pasta back into pot.
Meanwhile whisk the flour, low fat milk in a bowl, place the remaining 1 clove garlic and 1 tbsp oil in the skillet and cook over medium heat, 30 seconds. Add the flour-milk texture mixture and bring to a boil, stirring. Reduce the heat to low and cook stirring 2 min. Add evaporated milk, 1/2 tsp salt and the cheese stirring to melt, 1 min.
Cut the chicken into strips, toss with the pasta, sauce, zucchini and parsley, adding the reserved water to loosen. Yum Yum!
Comments Off on Chicken Zucchini Alfredo
June 29, 2010
Mix the following ingredients together in a small bowl. Place in bottom of 9 x 13 glass baking dish. Pat lightly and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Let cool.
1 cup flour
1 stick butter
2 Tbs. sugar
1/4 cup chopped pecans
Mix together and set aside:
1 8 oz. package of cream cheese
1 cup confectioners sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 large package of Dream Whip, according to directions.
Fold Dream Whip into cream cheese mixture and place on top of cooled pecan crust.
Refrigerate 1/2 hour.
Meanwhile mix together:
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 can of Blueberry Pie filling
Pour on top of cream cheese mixture. Refrigerate for 1/2 hour or freeze.
Comments Off on Blueberry Torte
May 31, 2010
Enjoy the sweetness of banana and pineapple in this Southern cake.
Makes: 16 servings.
Prep: 25 minutes
Bake: 350 for 28 minutes.
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 large eggs, beaten lightly
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup chopped pecans
2 large ripe bananas, mashed
1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineaple, undrained
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 box (16 ounces) confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Cake: Heat oven to 350. Butter and flour two 9-inch cake pans.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, sugar and cinnamon. Add the eggs and oil. Stir until dry ingredients are just moistened. Stir in the pecans, bananas, pineapple and vanilla. Evenly divide batter between the prepared pans.
3. Bake at 350 for 28 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. May need to adjusted for high altitude. Cool on wire rack for 15 minutes. Turn out and cool completely.
4. Frosting: In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter until creamy. Gradually sift in the confectioner’s sugar. Beat in vanilla.
5. Place one cake layer on serving plate. Spread about 1 cup frosting over top. Place second layer on top. Frost top and sides of cake. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Comments Off on Hummingbird Cake