Enjoy the sweetness of banana and pineapple in this Southern cake.
Makes: 16 servings.
Prep: 25 minutes
Bake: 350 for 28 minutes.
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 large eggs, beaten lightly
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup chopped pecans
2 large ripe bananas, mashed
1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineaple, undrained
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 box (16 ounces) confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Cake: Heat oven to 350. Butter and flour two 9-inch cake pans.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, sugar and cinnamon. Add the eggs and oil. Stir until dry ingredients are just moistened. Stir in the pecans, bananas, pineapple and vanilla. Evenly divide batter between the prepared pans.
3. Bake at 350 for 28 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. May need to adjusted for high altitude. Cool on wire rack for 15 minutes. Turn out and cool completely.
4. Frosting: In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter until creamy. Gradually sift in the confectioner’s sugar. Beat in vanilla.
5. Place one cake layer on serving plate. Spread about 1 cup frosting over top. Place second layer on top. Frost top and sides of cake. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.